Geany is a powerful, stable and lightweight text editor that has a modular architecture which allows to extend the basic functionality by selecting a set of plugins. It's developed under GPL v2 license. Geany requires few space on hard disk, has few dependencies (not depends on KDE or GNOME libs). Here some basic features:
- Multiplatform: GNU/Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, Windows
- Multilanguage: translated into over 40 languages
- Support for more than 50 programming languages: C, C++, Java, PHP, XML, HTML, Perl, ...
- Code Folding
- Code completion
- File explorer plugins
- Search and replace by regular expressions
- Clear and consice user interface
Other relevant features is the recognition of YAML file syntax. Geany allows to see blank spaces, tabs, line returns, convert tabs to blank spaces (useful when editing a YAML file), compile and execute projects among other functionalities. Geany has a terminal integrated into the editor which allows executing the OS command without having to leave the development environment. Here are some screenshots.